The Coastguard Centre coordinates and caries out 15 operational tasks (the Coastguard tasks) for six ministries in the Dutch part of the North Sea.
The Coastguard tasks can be devided in Provision of service tasks and Law enforcement tasks.
Provision of service tasks:
- Monitoring, handling and coordinating national and international Distress, Urgency and Safety radio traffic;
- Maritime assistance and Search and Rescue;
- Limiting and dealing with the aftermath of disasters and incidents;
- Wherever necessary, implementing vessel traffic services (buoys, vessel traffic service, instructions)
- Maritime traffic research
- Clearing out explosives
Law enforcement tasks:
- Maintaining law and order (police)
- Monitoring import, export and transit of goods (customs)
- Upholding laws regarding environment, sea fishing, nautical traffic, ships equipment and offshore activities
- Border control